By: Seamus Fay
For those who have been reading Graduation Music for some time now, it goes without saying that you’ve seen the name Maye Star on our pages before. This Roxbury-bred talent has been on our radar for quite some time, and by pushing his artistry and taking a conceptual, calculated approach to each successive release, it goes without saying that artistic development is where Star thrives. Today, he’s here to exhibit this mindset with a luxurious new single entitled “Diamonds”.
Produced by OGD Ingram, this track comforts listeners with the melodic presence of Star’s bellowing vocals, supported by a diamond-encrusted instrumental that you simply have to nod your head to. As always, Star’s lyrics paint a picture of exactly what he’s trying to speak on, and in such a way, “Diamonds” becomes an easily entertaining listen. This is the first offering we’ve heard from the Roxbury native in a minute, and as always, he impresses.
That said, be sure to show some love and check out “Diamonds” below!
By: Seamus Fay
Anyone who has been reading Graduation Music for some time now recognizes that Maye Star is one of Roxbury’s finest talents right now. His skillful vocal deliveries and refined artistry are just two of the features that make him a special artist, and as we await Star’s forthcoming project, Super Moon, due for release next month, he is here to provide us with something to help with the wait: a mixtape titled MAYEDAY 2012. As noted in the description on SoundCloud, Star wrote:
A mixtape by Maye Star recorded between 2011/2012! I present ‘Mayeday’ 16 years of age, this was my freshman mixtape! I quickly deleted it because I was going through so much and felt like I couldn’t give it the time like I put into it. Everything happens for a reason and I truly believe that the songs make more sense to my current life VS. how it did back then. Especially on songs such as ‘Living Life!’ I’m excited for it to re-surface. A lot of passion and relevant topics touched on on this project. I want these songs to last my whole career.
In all honesty, I can say that this release is something special for anyone who has been hip to Maye Star for more than just a few months. We’ve seen him grow both as an individual and as an artist, and in doing so, he has achieved a level of determination and ambition that anyone can learn from. This surprise project takes us right back to his roots as an entertainer to show us where he came from, and thankfully so.
Listen to MAYEDAY 2012 at the link below!
By: Seamus Fay
If you have been following Graduation Music for some time now, it goes without saying that you have heard the name Maye Star at least a few times. Hailing from Roxbury, this rising talent has graced our pages time and time again with his consistently smooth style, never failing to drop an anthem just when we need it. Today, he visits the standout Dee B-produced single, “Today”, with a must-watch visual companion directed by none other than Xandros Photo.
Lyrically, the song takes us through a day in the life of Maye Star, shedding light on his never-ending supply of clever bars and infectious cadences. Taking this illustrative aspect and bringing it directly to the screen, the music video for this track follows Maye around from when he wakes up to when he hits the studio, letting fans know how life has been for the rising talent as well as what he’s up to these days. As we await Star’s forthcoming album, SUPA MOON, be sure to prepare yourself by watching “Today” at the link below.
By: Seamus Fay
Looking back, 2017 was a year of immense growth for New England and specifically Massachusetts’ budding music scene. We were fortunate enough to see the rise of many new talents as well as watch some of the more established artists prosper in their own ways, and frankly, it was inspiring to us to see the work that the artists, the producers, the photographers, the graphic designers, the mixers, the managers, etc. have been putting in. Without all of these people playing their respective roles, our scene wouldn’t be where it is today.
Having said that, we here at Graduation Music collaborated with Fresh Out The Mint to compile a list of the “Top 50 New England Songs of 2017” (in our humble opinion). Below is the playlist of all the tracks – enjoy!
Thank you sincerely to everyone for supporting us throughout 2017 and making our first full year as a blog a successful one. We greatly appreciate all the love and can’t wait to show you what we have in store for 2018.
- Young Seuss – “123”
- Big Leano – “Broke” [Prod. Tee-WaTT]
- Vintage Lee – “Bless You” [Prod. Jew Paidro]
- Millyz – “Lessons” [Prod. Achillies]
- VALLEY – “Atari” [Prod. Stoop Kid]
- Caliph & Jefe Replay – “The Mood” [Prod. Obeatz]
- MyCompiledThoughts – “Romeo and Juliet”
- Cousin Stizz – “Lambo”
- DJ Lucas – “Doubt”
- Lonny X – “Believe It” [Prod. Gravez]
- Juxi – “Leave Me Alone” [Prod. Banbwoi]
- Jiggz – “Excuses” [Prod. digitLIX]
- KREW$ – “Dog Days” [Prod. DMND]
- RAMS – “Disease!” [Prod. Maka]
- Rothstein – “Jaded” ft. Supa Bwe [Prod. Shepard]
- Patrick Michel – “Perfect” [Prod. GrandCruu]
- Alejandro Blanco – “Give It To Her” [Prod. TFresh & SSB]
- Jefe Replay – “Stay Ugly” [Prod. Humbeats]
- Mizzie Cash – “Maneuvering” [Prod. Rob $urreal]
- Lord Felix – “Power” ft. Marvelous Stefan [Prod. LoLoTheGod]
- Plad Fine$$e – “Cheese” [Prod. 4oTo Roles]
- Maye Star – “Adjacent” ft. CH!LD [Prod. Sevnth]
- WHYTRI – “XURWIFI (Remix) ft. Lily Rayne [Prod. Cecil]
- Stripes iii – “Henny Down” [Prod. K.C.B.]
- Khary – “1-800-IDGAF” [Prod. Cloud Atrium]
- SuperSmashBroz – “Replay Interlude” ft. Jefe Replay [Prod. LDG]
- Michael Christmas – “Not The Only One” ft. Tobi Lou [Prod. Durkin]
- $ean Wire – “Moonlight” [Prod. Tropicana Bwoy]
- Pistola – “Jokes On You” [Prod. Stoop Kid]
- CAVE – “Who’s Next” [Prod. Maka]
- Maka & Durkin – “Waterworld”
- Gio Dee – “Buzz Lightyear” [Prod. MLVN]
- Humbeats – “Monday” ft. Austin Fair & TeaMarrr
- StupidGenius – “Palm Trees” ft. Capito [Prod. Lil Rich & Gruca]
- Garrett Merk – “Simple” [Prod. Frace]
- Danny Diamonds – “Can’t Talk”
- Gogo – “Cocaina”
- Polo $ummers – “$ad Boi” [Prod. WaVe GoD]
- SuperSmashBroz – “Still” ft. Big Leano & Vintage Lee [Prod. Tee-WaTT]
- Haasan Barclay – “Live For You”
- CHE – “Thii”
- Avenue – “Ain’t Shit Funny” (Remix) ft. Prano, Millyz, Le$, Al-Doe & Chase N Cashe
- Donald Grunge – “Shade” [Prod. Maka]
- Boogie Da God – “Get Well Soon” ft. Jefe Replay
- Marvelous Stefan – “Double Tap!” ft. Saint Lyor [Prod. Trevor Powers]
- Black EL – “Another Dose” [Prod. Durkin]
- $wooli – “Rainy Days” ft. Rachel Aiello
- Rosewood Bape – “Miss Me” [Prod. Kin Rich]
- TeaMarrr – “The One” [Prod. Ky Thompson & Keith Bell]
- Michael Christmas – “Top Turnbuckle” ft. OG Swaggerdick
By: Seamus Fay
En route to what will undoubtedly be a great way to start the year off in his forthcoming project, Roxbury’s own Maye Star is here to cap off his prosperous 2017 with a bass-heavy new banger tilted “Since Forever”. Filled to the brim with sparking, almost-triumphant melodies, this release comes at the perfect time to ramp up anticipation for SUPA MOON, all the while reminding us of the hard-working roots that the rising talent came from.
In his words, Star is “back on his 2011”, speaking to the long time coming that his wave of success has been. Reaching this appeal, he finds the perfect balance between nostalgic and braggadocious on this track, and By that logic, “Since Forever” is a reminder that Maye Star isn’t new to all of this – he has been on his grind for a while, and now that he can see his dreams come to frution, it’s important to let the people know how this all came about. The hard work has been clearly apparent in Star’s ability to improve with every release not to mention his notable work ethic, both of which will lead to the inevtiable creation of a hit-filled project to set the tone for 2018 with.
With that being said, I must say that this track is one of my personal favorites from Maye Star and I’m confident that the future is bright. See for yourself and click play on “Since Forever” below.
By: Seamus Fay
Well, Maye Star warned us about this. In an interview we did with the bubbling artist a few months ago, he told fans that he would be truly applying the full court pressure in November en route to his forthcoming project SUPA MOON. Sure enough, Star is here today to prove that he’s been putting in an incredible amount of work with an intoxicating new single, “Today”, produced by Dee B.
This track may stray a bit from the rising talent’s usual, singing style in its dense lyricism and cleverly stacked bars, but he’s sure to remind us that his vocal performance is as versatile as ever with a beautifully-delivered hook describing the prospect of success being close enough to touch. And by way of consistent releases and a sharp eye for quality, it truly is. Maye Star isn’t an artist to pass right over and I am completely confident in saying that SUPA MOON will prove this if you weren’t hip already.
Additionally, among a sea of aspects in this track that I could speak to, I feel that one of the most important is the fact that, as described in a message sent from Star on Twitter, this will be the intro to his tape. With “Today” as the introduction to what will surely be a wonderful piece, there’s no telling how strong each song will be. The bars are being set high very early on, and as he has proved in the past, I believe Maye Star is up for the challenge. That being said, click play on “Today” below and keep a close eye out for new releases from the rising talent coming soon.